Tired of your usual go-to breakfast items? Looking to switch things up a bit? Then this breakfast bowl is for you! It features super filling and fibre-packed farro, crispy and caramelized kohlrabi and Brussels sprouts and the irresistible soft poached egg! The runny yolk creates a luxurious sauce for the farro that is almost too good!
This meal is delicious for breakfast, but could also work for lunch or dinner if you wish.
1/2 cup farro (dry)
2 cups Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved if large
2 cups kohlrabi (bulb), peeled and cubed (cut into a similar size to the Brussels sprouts)
2 tbsp. grainy mustard
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
Black pepper, to taste
2 cups kohlrabi leaves, thick stems & ribs removed, torn into bite-sized pieces
1 tbsp. lemon juice
Salt and pepper
Poached eggs (however many you wish! I’d suggest 1-2 per serving)
Chili oil, for serving (optional)
1) Cook farro according to package directions.
2) Preheat oven to 425F. Add prepared Brussels sprouts and kohlrabi to a baking sheet and toss with a drizzle of olive oil, grainy mustard, garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper until evenly coated. Roast for 25-35 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cooked through and evenly browned.
3) Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the trimmed kohlrabi leaves, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste, Cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted. Add wilted kohlrabi greens to the cooked farro and stir to combine.
4) Poach eggs. If you’re unfamiliar with the process, have a look at The Kitchn for some great tips here!
5) Assemble the bowls! Add the farro + greens mixture to the bottom of the bowl, top with roasted kohlrabi and Brussels sprouts and a poached egg or two! Drizzle with chili oil if desired.