This soup is so luxuriously creamy thanks to the addition of soaked raw cashews. I was honestly amazed by how creamy this soup was- and its entirely vegan!
This soup features very few ingredients and the flavours are fairly simple- though that does not take away from its deliciousness! Sometimes simple really is best.
Prepare a batch of this soup over the weekend and enjoy it for lunch at work or a super speedy dinner during the week. It also freezes really well- so pop a serving or two into the freezer and thank yourself later!
2 medium onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, grated or minced
1 tbsp. lemon juice
4 cups celery root, chopped
2 cups carrot, chopped
6 cups no-sodium vegetable broth
1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water x 4-8 hours
Salt & pepper, to taste
1) Add 1 cup raw cashews to a medium bowl and cover by a few inches of water. Allow to soak for 4-8 hours so they become soft. Drain. (Time your cooking so the cashews are done soaking when you start the soup!)
2) Add a drizzle of olive oil to a large stock pot over medium heat. Once warm, add the onion and cook, stirring periodically, for about 10 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add the lemon juice and salt and pepper, to taste.
3) Add the celery root, carrots, broth and soaked & drained cashews. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cover. Cook until the vegetables are very soft, about 30-45 minutes (depending on how big the pieces are).
4) Allow the soup to cool slightly, then transfer to a blender (in batches if necessary) and puree until smooth. Add additional salt and pepper if needed.
5) Optional garnishes: plain Greek yogurt (if not vegan), chopped cashews, pumpkin seeds, microgreens, chopped fresh celery & carrot, dukkah, etc.